There is no speaker. Bonus time to work on projects!
Spacing Book & Magazine Launch Party TONIGHT until 23:00 (Raphael)
- Arts & Letters Club of Toronto
- 14 Elm Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1G7
<Hacking> The Future of Work – October 13/14/15 (Pat)
Ottawa-based hackathon tackling issues facing the Future of Work and labour market!
Hosted by Paddle HR, Datafest Ottawa, McKinsey & Company, Uber & the Trillateral Commission
MAESD: Student Pathways Challenge (Alex)
Did you hear that MAESD just launched the Student Pathways Challenge? This is a 6-week competition that encourages participants to form teams or work independently to develop digital solutions that answer the question:
How might we help high school students gain a better understanding of available employment opportunities and the pathways to get there by means of a digital tool or resource?
The challenge website is provided below *as well as an eventbrite link to the Launch Event happening at HackerYou October 19th*
Launch Event: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-student-pathways-challenge-launch-tickets-38411372449
DemocracyXChange Summit 2017 – November 18-19th (Micah)
Democracy thrives when citizens choose to actively participate in civic and political life to drive change. From citizens looking to advance the values of inclusivity, diversity and equality to neighbourhood groups coming together to shape the schools in their community, these large movements and small local campaigns all around the world are demonstrating the power of explicit engagement, technology, and new ways of organizing. DemocracyXChange is about the practical campaign skills and tools individuals and startup teams need to connect and make change happen. Come join us.
EARLY BIRD SALE ENDS OCTOBER 16th!!! Get your tickets at www.democracyxchange.org
Civic Tech 101 (Sharly)
If you are new to Civic Tech, come and learn all about Civic Tech Toronto 🙂
Join us in the SONAR Room in the back
MSF Missing Maps Mapathon – 10-10 (Raphael)
Register to attend in person at CSI or online https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/missing-maps-mapathon-tickets-37890655972?aff=efbeventtix
Next hacknight there will be a mapathon to improve OpenStreetMap in the developing world to help NGOs such as the Red Cross & MSF. We’ll be drawing in buildings and roads based on satellite imagery.
This mapathon is happening at CSI but Raphael will host a breakout group at the hacknight, MSF would like you to register at the link above regardless. Don’t forget to bring a laptop!
Bike Parking (Jake)
All are welcome to learn about the project. Low time commitment: join us for a guerilla test!
- Crowdsourcing better bike parking
- We are #proj-bikeparking on Slack
- Guerilla test subject will be rewarded with sweet, sweet candy 🙂
Women and Color (Mohammed)
Find talented women and people of color to speak at your tech-related event in Toronto.
Support needed to improve the CMS:
- Front-end Developers
- Back-end Developers
- Full-stack Developers
Put a Dent in Toronto’s Homeless (Zach)
Looking for anyone who:
- has knowledge of Toronto’s financial aid infrastructure
- like the provincial and municipal budget
- the divisions of financial aid (child aid, housing aid, employment services)
- wants to helpout with the project! 😀 I’m happy to bounce ideas around with ANYBODY!
CHECK OUT AND ADD to the project at github.com/zacharydonsky/mincome2.0
Build Your Own Healthy City Budget (Scott)
- interactive webpage that allows you build your own TO city budget
- How would you build the TO City Budget if you got to decide?
- TO City budget is ~$10 billion, but not always in ways that maximise population well-being, health, and potential
- Website would be list of buget proposals with check boxes
- e.g. Want to add 5000 subsidized childcare spaces? -$100 million
- Want to build the downtown relief subway line? -$7000 million
- Want to reduce subway fares 50 cents? -$50 million Or how about 2-hour TTC transfers?
- Example from the states: google CFRB Debt Fixer
- Looking for developers and people with the tech knowledge on how to build something like this!
We use Human Centered Design (HCD) to change how policies are communicated to communities.
We aim to provide resources for individuals to:
Reshape How Communities Hold Police Accountable
If an officer is found guilty of racial profiling what is their punishment? Who answers this receive ( $5)
- Help explore Toronto’s Budget.
- Comparing Toronto’s budget with other cities.
- Looking for researchers.
Open Democracy Project – DemocracyXChange Summit 2017 (Katie)
Democracy thrives when citizens choose to actively participate in civic and political life to drive change. From citizens looking to advance the values of inclusivity, diversity and equality to neighbourhood groups coming together to shape the schools in their community, these large movements and small local campaigns all around the world are demonstrating the power of explicit engagement, technology, and new ways of organizing. DemocracyXChange and Campaign is about the practical campaign skills and tools individuals and startup teams need to connect and make change happen. Come join us.
We’re looking for:
- Volunteers for the day
- Communications specialists